Long Bennington Medical Centre
Phlebotomist – We are looking for someone on a permanent contract working part-time providing Phlebotomy services to our patients. The successful applicant will need to have previous experience in order to support our busy team. The post will be on a part-time basis working 15 hours per week, three days a week (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday) with at least two 0800 am starts per week. The successful candidate must also be willing to provide holiday and sickness cover up to five mornings per week when necessary.
Main duties of the job
- Obtaining patient consent for the collection of a blood sample
- Performing venepuncture in accordance with practice protocols
- Maintaining accurate patient records on SystmOne
- The correct labelling, packaging and storing of samples
- Ensuring samples are sent to the laboratory in a timely manner
- Maintaining an effective liaison with the laboratory staff at Grantham District Hospital
- Working collaboratively with the nursing team, seeking guidance when necessary for patient related matters
- Ensure phlebotomy stock is checked regularly and ordered where needed
- Maintain a clean, clutter free environment in line with Infection Prevention & Control protocols
- Ensure the correct disposal of clinical waste and sharps
- Undertake administrative duties as required of the position
In addition to the primary responsibilities, the Phlebotomist may be requested to:
- Participate in practice audit as directed by the audit lead
- Participate in local initiatives to enhance service delivery and patient care
- Support and participate in shared learning within the practice
- Complete opening and closing procedures in accordance with the duty rota
Long Bennington Medical Centre is a friendly GP led Practice with a team of 3 Partners, 3 Salaried GPs, 2 Practice Nurses, Senior Healthcare Assistant and Junior Healthcare Assistant. The clinical team is strongly supported by a group of Reception, Dispensary and Administration staff who together strive to provide a high level of patient focused service. Our ethos is that of providing a caring, safe and friendly environment for both patients and staff.
We take great pride in what we do and work hard to provide the best service we can.
- Polite and confident
- Flexible and cooperative
- Motivated Problem solver with the ability to process information accurately and effectively, interpreting data as required
- High levels of integrity and loyalty Sensitive and empathetic in distressing situations
- Ability to work under pressure / in stressful situations
- Effectively able to communicate and understand the needs of the patient Commitment to ongoing professional development
- Effectively utilises resources Punctual and committed to supporting the team effort
- Flexibility to work outside of core office hours Flexibility to provide holiday and sickness cover when required
- Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) check Occupational Health Clearance
- Competent in the use of Office and Outlook EMIS / Systmone / Vision user skills
- Relevant qualification in Venepuncture, Good standard of General Education
- Mentor/Teaching qualification.
- Clinical supervision training and experience
- Experience of working with the general public Experience of working in a healthcare setting
- Experience of working in a primary care environment
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Long Bennington Medical Centre
The Medical Centre,
10 Valley Lane,