Inspire Health – Avenue House Surgery
Inspire Health is a dynamic health organisation, based in 3 modern premises in central Chesterfield and Hasland.
There are good public transport and road connections to our sites, all of which are a short drive away from both the M1 motorway and the Peak District.
Inspire Health is a progressive medical health care provider, offering excellent NHS service delivery and patient care to diverse communities across a variety of settings. The group delivers care to in excess of 20000 registered patients.
Inspire Health is committed to promoting equality of opportunity for all staff and job applicants. We aim to create a working environment in which all individuals are able to make best use of their skills, free from discrimination or harassment, and in which all decisions are based on merit.
To undertake a range of practice administration, providing excellent service to patients always. To ensure the smooth running of practice reception and working in partnership with the GPs and Practice Nurses, acting as a focal point of communication between patients, GPs, and other administrative and medical staff.
Ensuring practice information/databases are maintained to a high standard.
Main Duties of the Job
- To undertake general administration and upkeep.
- Workstream and/or workflow.
- Prescription handling.
- Call handling.
- Reception duties .
Job Description / Responsibilities
- Undertake Practice administration including the processing of results, correspondence, notifications, and tasks as per Practice Policy.
- Undertake various administrative duties which contribute to the smooth running of the Practice, including provision of secretarial and clerical support to clinical and other administrative staff.
- Ensure communication to and from patients, other members of the primary health care team and external agencies are processed accurately and within the necessary timescales.
- Receive and direct patients courteously and efficiently so that they can access the appropriate service or healthcare professional without difficulty.
- Taking messages and passing on information.
- Filing and retrieving paperwork. Computer data entry/data allocation and collation; processing and recording information in accordance with practice procedures including (but not exhaustive) Read Codes, Recall Letters and Scanning.
- Initiating contact with and responding to requests from patients, other team members and associated healthcare agencies and providers.
- Offer general assistance to the practice team, patients, and visitors to the practice, either in person or over the telephone.
Management of Appointment Systems
- Ensure total familiarity with all the appointment systems including regular and incidental variations.
- Book computerised appointments and action patient re-calls.
- Monitor the effectiveness of the system and report any problems.
- Ensure correspondence, reports, results etc are passed to the appropriate person/filed in correct record/entered on electronic record.
- Always ensure utmost accuracy when accessing/entering information into patient electronic record.
- Retrieve or file paper file records as required ensuring an accurate and tidy filing system.
- Receive incoming calls in a polite and efficient manner.
- Take accurate and necessary details by phone.
- Divert calls and take messages as required.
- Telephone patients with information as required e.g. to give results.
- Receive calls from patients regarding results and other medical enquiries.
- To keep the caller informed of action, e.g. being placed on hold.
- Ensure efficiency and effectiveness of the appointment system.
- Ensure the agreed practice procedures regarding appointment systems, booking times etc are adhered to and explained to patients accordingly.
- Ensure provision is made for patients requiring `urgent consultation’.
- Ensure that patients are seen by the most appropriate person for their own individual needs e.g. GP, Nurse Practitioner or Practice Nurse.
- Explain the practice arrangements and formal requirements to new patients and those requiring temporary cover. Complete all relevant procedures.
- Respond to all queries and requests for assistance from patients and other visitors.
- Ensure requests for prescriptions are actioned, where possible, within 48 hours.
- Action requests for ambulance transportation and record as per current protocols.
- To provide `holiday cover’ for colleagues as required.
- To act as chaperone as requested.
- Take steps to ensure the security of the surgery, staff and patients.
- Ensure premises are left secure and safe at the end of the working day.
Any other relevant duties as directed.
Special Requirements of the Post
- An understanding, acceptance, and adherence to the need for strict confidentiality, as per the Caldicott Guidelines.
- An ability to use own judgement, resourcefulness, and common sense to respond to patient’s enquiries, requests and needs.
- Excellent communication skills.
- A willingness for personal development in line with practice requirements.
- 5 GCSEs grade C and above, or equivalent, including Maths and English.
- Proven computer skills.
- IT qualification.
- Health/Social Care qualification
- Customer service/Business administration qualification.
- Experience in working with members of the public.
- Experience of working in a busy environment.
- Previous medical reception work.
- Experience of clinical software systems.
- Previous reception work.
- Experience with Choose and Book.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work on own initiative and in a team.
- Willingness to develop new skills and undertake training.
- Approachable, flexible, and caring attitude.
- Ability to work accurately and effectively as directed.
- An understanding of work within a surgery environment.
- Previous knowledge of prescriptions.
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Avenue House Surgery